[Monotone-devel] newcomer thoughts and questions (self hosting, CVS)

From: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: [Monotone-devel] newcomer thoughts and questions (self hosting, CVS)
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 07:51:36 -0400

I am looking for a new revision control system and I would prefer to use something that is relatively distributed and far more flexible than CVS. Yet at the same time, I cannot yet throw out the CVS baby out with the bathwater.

part of the reason I'm leaving CVS behind is because I have done great violence to CVS repositories. I am forever rearranging directory hierarchies as new relationships arise and fall apart. I'm also not comfortable with the central server model of CVS but prefer one where there is no permanent center and that if the center goes away, other centers can take over if need be.

I've been uncomfortable with both subversion and arch for a couple reasons. Usually relating to complexity. For example, I really like how arch works in many ways but unfortunately, the user interface seems to have been written by aliens and it is also way to verbose for handicapped person like myself[1]

but one of the nice things in the arch world is the ability to synchronize with an existing CVS archive. Personally, I wouldn't really care about synchronizing every little change but if I could say "synchronize in *this* monotone state with the current state of CVS", it would go a long way to helping with the transition.

On running your own server, it looks like you have your own equivalent of pserver but I am uncomfortable with how authentication seems to be handled. It seems very ad hoc, at least that's my impression from the documentation.

also, if I remember correctly from earlier documentation there was an SMTP based method of synchronization. I assume that went away or I am remembering something from a different project? if it was available, it would be rather nice/interesting because then folks who are on crippled broadband services and cannot run servers could still have repositories.

if you ever need to use WebDAV, I figured out how to set up and have reduced the configuration to a simple templates on Apache. Ask, and the information is yours (even if it's not for monotone ;-))

but mostly what I have seen about monotone is pretty nice and I'm hoping some of the answers I get will help me start making the transition away from CVS to something a little friendlier/flexible.

---eric

[1] injured from too many hours on the keyboard a decade ago and live with speech recognition as my primary input method. end result being that I am very sensitive to bad user interface design and am limited to programming python.