openvortex-dev

[Openvortex-dev] Aureal Advantage (8810) problem

From: Kovacs Krisztian
Subject: [Openvortex-dev] Aureal Advantage (8810) problem
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:48:47 +0100

  Hi,

  I have some problems using ALSA 1.0rc2 and the Aureal driver. The driver
detects the card, however, I have a lot of warning messages in the kernel
log, and sometimes the sound is crappy. (High pitches, a lot of
distortion.)

  When loading the driver, I get the following messages:
kecske kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 0000:00:0f.0
kecske kernel: Vortex: hardware init.... <6>done.
kecske kernel: SDAC detected <3>vortex: unknown irq source 4

  I had a look at the source, it seems that vortex_interrupt() handler is
getting interrupts from an unknown source. When the handler gets the
source from the VORTEX_IRQ_SOURCE register, it gets 4... I've added a few
debug messages, and it looks that sometimes it even gets 1004. (1000 would
be IRQ_SOURCE_TIMER, but what is 4?)

  Even worse, sometimes I get a lot of ALSA warning messages:

kecske kernel: ALSA sound/core/pcm_lib.c:186: Unexpected hw_pointer value
[1] (stream = 0, delta: -597, max jitter = 8192): wrong interrupt acknowledge?
kecske kernel: ALSA sound/core/pcm_lib.c:186: Unexpected hw_pointer value
[1] (stream = 0, delta: -84, max jitter = 8192): wrong interrupt acknowledge?
kecske kernel: ALSA sound/core/pcm_lib.c:186: Unexpected hw_pointer value
[1] (stream = 0, delta: -850, max jitter = 8192): wrong interrupt acknowledge?

  Apart from these problems, the driver works. When the pitches come,
stopping and starting again usually helps, at least for a few minutes.
However, these bugs are really annoying, so I'd be really glad if they
could somehow be solved.  How can I help in this process? I have no idea
what IRQ source 4 could be, neither how I could find it out.

  Besides Linux, I have Windows XP on this computer, and that driver works
without problems. How can I use Jeff Muizelaar's driver logger? Would
those debug outputs be useful?

--
 Kovács Krisztián (Hidden)