pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Move to database back-end

From: Tom
Subject: [Pan-devel] Move to database back-end
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 20:15:51 -0500

Hi,

I have seen occasional mentions on the pan-users list about plans to
move to a database back-end. I have some database experience, so I
thought I'd find out what the status of that work is, and see if I could
be of help.

Basically I thought of doing the following, at last as a start:
1. Make a first cut at a database design/schema, and implement it.
2. Write a conversion routine/utility which would read the current files
and load the database. I've been looking at the CVS tree, specifically
pan/base/file_headers.c and related files.

Questions:
1. First, is this the right place to raise these questions? The list
seems to be fairly low in traffic.
2. How much of this work is already done?
3. What db will be used? I thought Charles had mentioned it at some
point on pan_users, but I couldn't find it now.

Oh, and who am I? I mostly lurk, but I have C experience in embedded
processors and MS-DOS, and database experience in
Oracle/MS-Access/Ingres. I'm a newbie to Unix/Linux development (Chris
is helping me get my development environment setup).

Anyway, I appreciate any responses.