plex86-devel

[Plex86-devel] Re: [Plex86-developers] Performance characteristics

From: Sam Vilain
Subject: [Plex86-devel] Re: [Plex86-developers] Performance characteristics
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:28:50 +1300

My current hazy picture is; and no, I don't have any evidence ;-).

Full x86 VM solutions:
VMWare, old Plex86, VirtualPC - qualitatively agreed are all extremely slow
:-)  This is because they are spending a lot of time performing
modifications of code segments to work around the x86 virtualisation
inadequacies.

Pure userland full VM solutions:
UML (standard) - 50% or less than host speed (I gather)

Hybrid solutions:
UML (``skas'' mode) - 70% of host speed (apparently)
Plex86+Bochs - something like 90% of host speed for simple ``tight loop''
tests
Plex86+Linux/HAL - potentially a little bit more than the above (?)

`chroot' based solutions:
FreeVSD/ProVSD - 99% of host speed (no host patch required, no true `root'
in virtualised servers)
Vserver - 99% of host speed (requires host patch, true `root' in
virtualised servers)

Of course, with the chroot based solutions, everything runs within the same
kernel.  Calling it 99% of host speed is really a gross
oversimplification; issues such as the extra memory and filesystem areas
required by all the running servers will probably reduce that somewhat;
but this is the same for all the solutions.

Also, different solutions have different levels of stability and vendor
support.  For instance, if you're an ISP wanting to sell ``Virtual
Dedicated Servers'' to clueless markets, ProVSD is the most turn-key
solution.  Vserver based solutions are a bit more work, but IMHO worth it
in the long run.

Currently the plex86 based solutions are far from actually achieving the
above performance estimates for real world cases; but they should approach
those over time.  So they can hardly be considered ready for production
use.

--
Sam Vilain, address@hidden

  Time is an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space.
GRAFFITI