qemu-devel

Mouse pointer warping with gtk display

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Mouse pointer warping with gtk display
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 19:16:55 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

We've found a problem with mouse pointer jumping around then constantly warping making it unusable which only seems to happen with the gtk display. Similar problem was reported with MacOS guests but now we could also reproduce with MorphOS on pegasos2 and thus confirm it's not a guest issue or hardware emulation problem but seems to be related to QEMU's gtk display. This can be reproduced as following (boot.img is the file from the root dir of the iso which is available from https://www.morphos-team.net/morphos-3.15.iso ):

qemu-system-ppc -M pegasos2 -cdrom morphos-3.15.iso -display sdl \
-L ../pc-bios -kernel boot.img -device ati-vga,romfile=""

This does not have this problem and mouse works but running with -display gtk has the mouse pointer issue making it unusable. It can be seemingly avoided with using -device ati-vga,romfile="",guest_hwcursor=true so I think problem is somewhere in mouse handling in ui/gtk.c with host side mouse pointer. The gd_motion_event() in that file has a big comment about warping mouse back to the middle near the end of the function which seems to ne what's happening and causing this as this does not appear in sdl.c that does not show the same issue but I don't understand what that code is trying to do.

It's a known problem that host mouse pointer can get out of sync with the guest which I think is because mouse acceleration on the host is not correctly taken into account when reporting mouse moves to the guest and this may try to correct that issue but it seems to cause more harm than good in some cases. Any idea what might be the problem and how to solve this? I wonder why nobody else is seeing this with other guests. (I'm not direcly interested in fixing it as I'm using sdl display but this makes it hard to use some guests for users whose distros make gtk backend the default which may actually be most people so it might be a good idea to improve this for them so I thought at least reporting the problem is useful.)

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan