qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] Flexible SR-IOV support for virtio-net

From: Yui Washizu
Subject: Re: [RFC] Flexible SR-IOV support for virtio-net
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 17:47:30 +0900

On 2023/11/18 21:10, Akihiko Odaki wrote:
Hi,

We are planning to add PCIe SR-IOV support to the virtio-net driver for Windows ("NetKVM")[1], and we want a SR-IOV feature for virtio-net emulation code in QEMU to test it. I expect there are other people interested in such a feature, considering that people are using igb[2] to test SR-IOV support in VMs.

Washizu Yui have already proposed an RFC patch to add a SR-IOV feature to virtio-net emulation[3][4] but it's preliminary and has no configurability for VFs.

Now I'm proposing to add SR-IOV support to virtio-net with full configurability for VFs by following the implementation of virtio-net failover[5]. I'm planning to write patches myself, but I know there are people interested in such patches so I'd like to let you know the idea beforehand.

The idea:

The problem when implementing configurability for VFs is that SR-IOV VFs can be realized and unrealized at runtime with a request from the guest. So a naive implementation cannot deal with a command line like the following:
-device virtio-net-pci,addr=0x0.0x0,sriov=on
-device virtio-net-pci,addr=0x0.0x1
-device virtio-net-pci,addr=0x0.0x2

This will realize the virtio-net functions in 0x0.0x1 and 0x0.0x2 when the guest starts instead of when the guest requests to enable VFs.

However, reviewing the virtio-net emulation code, I realized the virtio-net failover also "hides" devices when the guest starts. The following command line hides hostdev0 when the guest starts, and adds it when the guest requests VIRTIO_NET_F_STANDBY feature:

-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=hostnet1,id=net1,mac=52:54:00:6f:55:cc, \
  bus=root2,failover=on
-device vfiopci,host=5e:00.2,id=hostdev0,bus=root1,failover_pair_id=net1

So it should be also possible to do similar to "hide" VFs and realize/unrealize them when the guest requests.

There are two things I hate with this idea when contrasting it with the conventional multifunction feature[6] though. One is that the PF must be added before VFs; a similar limitation is imposed for failover.

Another is that it will be specific to virtio-net. I was considering to implement a "generic" SR-IOV feature that will work on various devices, but I realized that will need lots of configuration validations. We may eventually want it, but probably it's better to avoid such a big leap as the first step.

Please tell me if you have questions or suggestions.

Hi, Odaki-san

The idea appears to be practical and convenient.

I have some things I want to confirm.
I understood your idea can make deices for VFs,
created by qdev_new or qdev_realize function, invisible from guest OS.
Is my understanding correct ?
And, if your idea is realized,
will it be possible to specify the backend device for the virtio-pci-net device ?

Could you provide insights into the next steps
beyond the implementation details ?
About when do you expect your implementation
to be merged into qemu ?
Do you have a timeline for this plan ?
Moreover, is there any way
we can collaborate on the implementation you're planning ?

Regards,

Yui Washizu

Regards,
Akihiko Odaki