qemu-devel

Re: Qemu for TC377

From: Sameer Kalliadan Poyil
Subject: Re: Qemu for TC377
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 14:26:10 -0400

Hi Bastian,

Thanks for the information. I thought that I can do some prototyping before the HW arrives. :)

 Yes I am interested for your bare metal program boot_to_main run it on TSIM.
Is Infineon TSIM free? I searched it and I didn't find any download link. Could you please give a link for that if it is from Infineon?

s it(TSIM)  trace32 simulator ? https://repo.lauterbach.com/download_demo.html ?

This page https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/TriCore shows SCU is under development.

Could you let me know who is developing it ? is  it possible to take an existing SCU and modify according to AURIX data sheet? I see that UART is possible to for Tricore like the one developed for ARM versatile platform

Here is the link https://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2016-10/msg04514.html

I have aurix development trial version and able to compile a UART project using Tasking compiler and tried to run it on qemu, but I don't see any logs in the qemu terminal as you said there is no peripherals implemented

qemu-system-tricore -machine KIT_AURIX_TC277_TRB -cpu tc27x -m 6M -nographic -kernel ASCLIN_Shell_UART_1_KIT_TC277_TFT.elf  -serial stdio -append "console=ttyAMA0 console=ttyS0"

Also do you know if there is a virtual UART framework to communicate between two Qemu instances or two TSIM instances running similar OS or different OS? I need to do prototype testing RPMSg communication between  MCU and SOC using external physical UART/SPI which can be tested using vritual UART using two qemu instances.

Regards,
Sameer

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 7:51 AM Bastian Koppelmann <kbastian@mail.uni-paderborn.de> wrote:
Hi Sameer,
On Sun, Apr 14, 2024 at 06:15:56PM +0200, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> Hi Sameer,
>
> On 13/4/24 14:52, Sameer Kalliadan Poyil wrote:
> > Hello All,
> > I see that Latest qemu supports for tricore TC277 and TC377
> > image.png
> > But when I downloaded source code and checked for TC377 related file , I
> > didn't find anything
> >
> > I want to run RTOS/bare metal code on TC377 . could you please let me
> > know how to start qemu on TC377 ?
> > Here is the latest version of qemu i have , I didn't download 9.0
>
> $ qemu-system-tricore -cpu help
> Available CPUs:
>   tc1796
>   tc1797
>   tc27x
>   tc37x
> $
>
> Try 'qemu-system-tricore -machine KIT_AURIX_TC277_TRB -cpu tc37x',
> this should start a TC377 SoC on an AURIX board (~KIT_A2G_TC377_TRB).

This is the closest you will get to TC377 board.

I'm not sure if QEMU is the best choice for you, if you want run a RTOS, as
qemu-system-tricore is lacking:

- peripherals like SCU, SystemTimer that are a bare minimum to run a RTOS

- Simulation of time: When your RTOS runs periodic tasks you might get wrong
  results, as QEMU does not simulate time accurately. The real CPU would
  see time pass differently than QEMU. We make a best guess using the wall time.

I think for now Infineons TSIM is a better choice, as it does not lack the
points above. However it has significantly less performance compared to QEMU.

If you are only interested in running bare metal software, check out my
'boot_to_main' test [1]. The Makefile [2] shows you how to build it using
tricore-gcc [3] and how to run it in QEMU. Also tricore-gdb [4] might be
interesting for you.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask me.

Cheers,
Bastian

[1] https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/blob/master/tests/tcg/tricore/c/test_boot_to_main.c?ref_type=heads
[2] https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/blob/master/tests/tcg/tricore/Makefile.softmmu-target?ref_type=heads