[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of PAPO

From: john
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of PAPO
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 14:51:12 -0400

John Lenton <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: PAPO
System name: papo
This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

This is a placeholder description until we actually get down to writing
something better. Please bear with us. In the meanwhile, this is an excerpt
from a post (http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/gnue-dev/2002-March/000050.html) to
the gnue-dev mailing list.

First, long range: we want to build a complete replacement for Tango
(http://www.tangosoft.com.ar/). Even longer range: we want every
freaking bussiness in Argentina to replace their
Tango/SAP/Whatchamacallit for our system. An while we\'re at it, why
stop at Argentina\'s borders? We obviously want to start out
thinking ahead, beyond what Tango currently does, and also obviously
avoiding the (many, many) idiotsyncracies of that software.

For those who don\'t want to follow a link n/or read spanish, Tango is
an ERP system that tends to the argentine market.

[...]

It is a long journey ahead, so we\'d better start with the first step:
we\'ll build a simple invoicing system targeted at services, which
means we don\'t have to track inventory, no article databases, just the
bare bones of creating an invoice (which, due to the baroque tax
legislation in Argentina can be a feat nonetheless, but that\'s a
feature: if we can do an invoice here, it\'s a pretty safe bet we can
do it in Alpha Centauri as well -- as long as Alpha Centauri dig free
software). We\'ll grow from there, creating different invoicing
front-ends for different kinds of bussinesses, adding management of
customer data, provider data, inventory, bookkeeping, asset
management... all one step at a time.

Other Software Required:
gnuenterprise (and its dependancies: postgresql, etc.)

Other Comments:
this supersedes the previous submission of this project, which seems is
unacceptable due to unspecified locale requirements.