sv-migration

[Sv-migration] Re: savannah -> gforge migration

From: James E. Blair
Subject: [Sv-migration] Re: savannah -> gforge migration
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:57:06 -0500

Tim Perdue <address@hidden> writes:

> Sure. The debian guys have a nice perl script that may help migrate
> from your older SF2.0 structure to the new structure.
>
> Just off the top of your head, how much did the schema change since
> you guys forked off of SF?

I've created the sv-migration list and initially subscribed the FSF
sysadmins and some of the more active Savannah hackers.

The development of the Savannah codebase (now called Savane) happened
without the involvement of Paul or myself.  Maybe the Savannah hackers
can address your question about schema changes?

Here at the FSF we're trying to figure out what kind of staff
resources we're going to have to devote to the migration.  Could you
help us understand more about these issues that we've (so far)
identified?

1) Most PHP exploits seem to derive from register_globals being on and
   the meticulous care that needs to be taken with variables that
   could be tainted.  Savane requires that it be on and so does, I
   believe, GForge.  It seems to us to be worthwhile to modify GForge
   to run with it off.  I'm sure that's a big project; how much effort
   do you think it would involve?

2) Group types: Savannah has the notion of group types which are used
   to distinguish GNU/non-GNU/www.gnu.org/user-group projects.  These
   provide slightly different services (GNU projects use ftp.gnu.org
   instead of the download area, and of course the banner that is
   displayed at the top of the project page indicating its type).
   Does GForge support this kind of behavior?  If not, we could
   probably do most of what we want with separate installs on one
   machine, if that is supported, and we can easily import/export
   projects between them.

3) Savannah has several private projects which do not allow anonymous
   access to their resources.  Can GForge support this?

4) We would like all file uploads to be GPG signed.  For Savannah, we
   have bolted the ftp-upload system for the GNU ftp servers in place,
   but it's complicated and limiting.  GForge seems to have a file
   area, and I think we would like to use it for the non-gnu packages,
   but we still want GPG signing.  Would it be hard to require all
   uploaded files to be GPG signed?

Thanks again for your help.

-Jim