synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] [support #102356] failures w/ RedHat 9

From: nobody
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] [support #102356] failures w/ RedHat 9
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 19:07:57 -0400

Support Request #102356, was updated on Fri 08/15/2003 at 17:57
You can respond by visiting:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?func=detailsupport&support_id=102356&group_id=2422

Category: None

By: mvo
Date: Fri 08/15/2003 at 23:07
Logged In: YES
user_id=8267
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030714
Epiphany/0.8.4

thanks for your bugreport.

>First, I start synaptic as a background process from
>the xterminal.  The process initially recieves an
>error "Xlib: extension 'RENDER' missing on display
>(myip:0.0)" seen in the xterminal window.  From some
>research I've done suggests that this error should not
>be a concern, but who knows.

No, this is no problem.

>Next, whenever I make select any function in synaptic
>I receive a message back on my xwindow session
>saying, "strange things are going on in the world".
>Sure is strange!  My hope is that the author has coded
>this to be comical.

sorry for this. this was a internal debug statement that
made it into the release. It's (relativly) harmless, but
it is fixed in the upcoming 0.43 release.

>Now for the troublesome stuff...  When I close a
>window or subwindow I receive the
>error, "unregisterObserver() failed" back in the
>xterminal screen.  Not sure what this means and a
>Google search comes up with nothing.

This is another debug statement. It warns that a internal
object couldn't be deregistered. It's harmsless, it just
shows that there is a internal (but harmless) problem.

the other stuff is more serious.

I'll see what I can do about it tomorrow.

thanks,
 Michael

By: tgm
Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0)

Synaptic is having some problems dealing with RH9.
First, my config:

RedHat 9.0 with all current RH updates installed
synaptic_0.42-1.fr_i386.rpm installed
apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1 installed
using WRQ Reflection 7.2 xterminal window to linux box
Reflection is running on Windows 2000/SP4 (not XDMCP)

OK, here is what I'm seeing...

First, I start synaptic as a background process from
the xterminal.  The process initially recieves an
error "Xlib: extension 'RENDER' missing on display
(myip:0.0)" seen in the xterminal window.  From some
research I've done suggests that this error should not
be a concern, but who knows.

Next, whenever I make select any function in synaptic
I receive a message back on my xwindow session
saying, "strange things are going on in the world".
Sure is strange!  My hope is that the author has coded
this to be comical.

Now for the troublesome stuff...  When I close a
window or subwindow I receive the
error, "unregisterObserver() failed" back in the
xterminal screen.  Not sure what this means and a
Google search comes up with nothing.

When I perform a list update things process as
expected without error.  Then after I select some
packages to install, synaptic starts processing the
download.  Everything downloads fine.  Now when it
attempts to install the rpm's we have some real
problems.  The synaptic main and subwindow hang.  Any
attempts to kill them short of a -9 do nothing.  The
only way I can coax the process to do anything is to
synaptic process to the foreground.  When I do this a
new child window appears with a double scrolling bar
that tells me in its message that its trying to
install the packages with the rpm process.  Nothing
happens beyond the scrolling though.  Doing a ps -ef
indicates that NO rpm process is running in the
machine.  If I try to perform a rpm -qa command from a
text based session (non x), I receive the message from
rpm that, "warning: cannot get shared lock
on /var/lib/rpm/Packages".  I have to kill off the
xterminal window at this point to kill off synaptic.
According to ps -ef the synaptic processes go away but
the rpm lock remains.  I'm not familiar with the rpm
locking scheme, but a quick machine reboot clears it.

So, what to do from here...  For the moment I'm
telling synaptic to download the packages only and I'm
later installing them manually with rpm.  When I later
bring up synaptic again, it recognizes the additions.

In one case I tried to let synaptic handle a 'broken'
issue with rhs-printfilters vs redhat-config-printer.
I saw the same symptoms as before but I noticed a
curious thing afterward.  I performed an rpm erase
with the -vv option and noticed that the previous
iteration (using synaptic) had in fact removed the
files but had not updated the rpm databases.

So now I'm wondering if this is really a synaptic
problem or really something to do with the x session
instead.  While I'm waiting, I will attempt to some
work via the machine console and see if things are any
different.

Thanks for your time,

Tim

(FYI, I was logged in but it appears the cookie
dropped - savannah user "tgm")

You can respond by visiting:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?func=detailsupport&support_id=102356&group_id=2422

  Message sent via/by Savannah