Re: efs + tramp + emacs problem.

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: efs + tramp + emacs problem.
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 13:20:16 +0100

Alex Koval <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

> Tramp + efs / ange-ftp does not work well for me.

[...]

> Xemacs 21.4 patch 12
> tramp-version says 2.0.36
>
> Actual error
> -------------------
>
>     When I try to open any file I receive:
>
>   for /ssh:address@hidden:/
>   ... Opening FTP connection to ssh ...

/ssh:address@hidden:/ is the Tramp syntax for Emacs. With XEmacs, that
syntax activates EFS. XEmacs expects /[ssh/address@hidden/ as Tramp
syntax.

Kai has prepared Tramp for using the same syntax on XEmacs; you need
(setq tramp-unified-filenames t) before loading Tramp. But it doesn't
seem to work correctly; I'm debugging it these days.

> GNU Emacs 21.3.1
> tramp 2.0.36
>
> In this setup tramp works, but ange-ftp tells me everytime when I try
> to open
> file via FTP:
>
> /ftp:address@hidden:/file
>
> it first asks for password for 'ftp'
>
> and then it says:
> ftp> open ftp
> ftp: ftp: Unknown host
>
> when I open file 2nd time, it works fine. (same way, no changes. just
> 2nd time)

Oops. I'll put it on my todo list for analyzing, but I cannot promise
doing it soon (the list is too long).