[Xouvert-general] ANNOUNCEMENT: roadmap for Xouverts first release

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: [Xouvert-general] ANNOUNCEMENT: roadmap for Xouverts first release
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:06:57 -0700

We have been telling people we will be doing our first release on
October 1st.  Now we can tell you what we will be releasing.

Although eventually we would like to do a complete Xouvert branded X11
distribution, our first focus is on the server.

In the month ahead, instead of slurping all the XFree86 sources into our
repository and going from there, we will be extracting the X server from
the XFree86 CVS and making it compile standalone.  Then we will add in
some currently available third party drivers and bug fixes, and that
will be our first release.

Beginning immediately after October 1st, we will work on an automation
infrastructure, which will let us provide up-to-the-minute binary rpm's,
tgz's, and debian packages in addition to the usual source code
tarballs.  We will continue to add bugfixes and new drivers and make
them available immediately.

The Xouvert server will be fully compatible with XFree86, and in fact
will co-exist with it.  You will need to modify only two lines in your
/etc directory to start the Xouvert server instead of the XFree86
server; all the rest of the XFree86 distribution will be used by
Xouvert.

As Mike Gancarz said in The Unix Philosophy, "Now THAT's Leverage!"

Jonathan

--

It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2