a2ps for source code printing.

From: Suresh B Muppala
Subject: a2ps for source code printing.
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:48:08 -0700 (PDT)

I am a big fan of a2ps when it comes to printing the source code with syntax
highlighting. I tried many tools but never liked them. Even though it is pretty
good with current features, I am looking for following features if it is ever
possible to incorporate them:

- Level of the nesting (for/while loops, if statements) in the source code
(like in ENSCRIPT). This might give following options to printing the nesting
info:
                -- Print the level at each line
                -- Print the level only when it changes
                -- Print the level when it changes and every 'n'th line
                -- and of course, no nesting.

- Information of implementation of function call such as file name, page number
etc. This provides easy reference to function implementations and gives better
readability to the source code than having function index (not available in
a2ps). This feature can be extended to external variables and global variable
etc (this may be too much stuff).

I think these feature add great value to a2ps. Thanks for listening,

--suresh