Re: -P display

From: dowdy
Subject: Re: -P display
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:54:47 -0700 (MST)

I deleted the original message, so hopefully the poster sees this.

The "special" printer destination 'display' is simply a set of
config file entries that run a PS viewer to the display, rather
than sending to 'lpr'.

a2ps.cfg has to have special directives like:

# Either GV (prefered) or Ghostview will be used as the "display" printer
# We give -dNOPLATFONTS so that real fonts are used
# (Strange results appear with Ogonkify's fonts for instance).
#Variable: psviewer /tools/cs/X11/bin/ghostview -arguments -dNOPLATFONTS
Variable: psviewer /tools/cs/ghostscript/bin/gv -antialias -arguments
-dNOPLATFONTS
# It is better not to pipe in ghostview
Printer: display | cat > #f0 && #{psviewer} #f0

I use 'gv' as it's much nicer than the default ghostview, and also
antialias the fonts for a better on-screen read.

--stephen
--
Stephen Dowdy - Systems Administrator - CS Dept - Univ of Colorado at Boulder
address@hidden  --  http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~dowdy/signature.html