Cutting Lines..

From: Sam Lown
Subject: Cutting Lines..
Date: 08 Dec 2002 19:39:40 +0100

Hi,

I'm doing an upgrade of our Printer servers which are using a very old
version of PSF (a text postcript filter which is now pretty much
extinct). Most of the required functionality can be done using a2ps with
similar appearances (as far as the end-users are concerned), there is
however one function that I cannot seem to find that is important to the
users; there is a need to be able to specify the number of lines per
virtual-page WITHOUT scaling the text, i.e. if 47 lines are specified
only 47 are printed per page leaving the rest of the page empty.

Its basically a feature for people who want to specify the number of
columns but still only have a certain number of lines per page, unlike
the current a2ps where -l -L and -F override each other.

Is there a method incorperated into a2ps for doing this? or should I
work on trying to implement some work around? (a script or program that
uses liba2ps and adds ^L at the specified line count?)

Thanks in advance for any help,

sam
--
CERN, Geneva
IT - Product Support - Unix Infrastructure