replacement for medium=A4dj?

From: Leonardo Canducci
Subject: replacement for medium=A4dj?
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:39:47 +0200

Don't know if this is a FAQ, since mailing list archive is unreachable.

I'm using a2ps package from debian sid. (don't know why debian package
says version is 4.13b+cvs.2003.09.20-1 while a2ps --version says:
GNU a2ps 4.49a).
anyway when I upgraded from latest package conffiles changed; in
particular variable "medium" became obsolete.

I'm printing with an HP930c deskjet and this printer required to set
medium=A4dj, which used bigger margins than simple A4. if set to A4 a
part of the page is non printed because of printer margin limits.

since documentation is quite poor - or maube it's just me! - about this
problem, I couldn't find an alternative for such an issue. I read I
should use PPD files to define margins (imageable area?). I made some
tries with my printer PPD generated by linuxprinting.org (and got syntax
errors) and modifying default PPD in /usr/share/a2ps/ppd/ changing
"imageable area" for A4 (and got no errors but the same prints with part
of the page cut off).

any hints or source of informations?

a2ps is quite important to me since I print all text, mail and manpages
with it. Downgrading is not an option if future releases will have no
"medium" variable either.

thanks
--
Leonardo Canducci - address@hidden