Re: HTML to PS: No netscape here

From: TBlittlefoot
Subject: Re: HTML to PS: No netscape here
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:59:00 -0700

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 05:13:54PM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> > You know, Ed, HTML-to-PS is the heart of this, to my mind.
> >
> > It's the current universal markup language and can be extremely simple
> > to extremely complex.
> >
> > I write HTML source with vanilla vi...
> >
> > You only need to do text and static graphics. Sound and video, etc,
> > obviously
> > don't translate to paper.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >

> > --
> >     PLEASE mail me in PLAIN TEXT ----------- THANK YOU
>
> The HTML rendering engines in web browsers are quite complex.
> The concept of delegating in a2ps is a good choice in my mind.

I agree. But the docs/config files need to include directions
for *all* browsers currently in use by any significant number
of people.

> That being said, have you looked at this link:
>
> http://user.it.uu.se/~jan/html2ps.html

Yes. Don't like perl. Don't have it on my box.

Perhaps we could 'just' convert that to C....

Seriously. There may even be a utility that does that.

> You want the final output in postscript, not the actual HTML
> code highlighted, right?

I want the *.ps file to look like the original webpage does in
a browser when printed or previewed.

> I'm surprised people still use vi.

Millions.

> I'm an emacs man myself.

Nobody's perfect.

:-))

> I can't live without color highlighting/multiple buffers/etc.

I guess I can.

> And no I don't want vim!  :-)

Me neither!

> /Ed