[a2ps] Re: a 2 ps maintainer

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: [a2ps] Re: a 2 ps maintainer
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:35:22 +0200

>>> "Kannan" == Kannan Krishnan <address@hidden> writes:

 > Akim,
 >> On 9/2/06, Akim Demaille <address@hidden> wrote:
 >> I wish the best, to you and a2ps.

 > Thanks for you wishes, i have started working on this. I am trying to
 > use to the latest stable release of autoconf, automake etc to build
 > a2ps again,  before working on the fixes done by others.

Please, don't write to me about technical stuff wrt to a2ps.  The two
other maintainers can certainly provide you with very up to date
information.

 > As i try to use autoconf, i am getting the following messages ..

 > address@hidden:~/a2ps/src/a2ps$ autoconf
 > configure.in:34: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_GNU_M4
 >      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
 >      See the Autoconf documentation.
 > configure.in:38: error: possibly undefined macro: jm_PATH_PERL
 > configure.in:61: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DISABLE_SHARED
 > configure.in:62: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
 > configure.in:95: error: possibly undefined macro: jm_AC_PREREQ_XSTRTOUMAX
 > configure.in:96: error: possibly undefined macro: jm_AC_TYPE_UINTMAX_T
 > configure.in:149: error: possibly undefined macro: jm_FUNC_MALLOC
 > configure.in:150: error: possibly undefined macro: jm_FUNC_REALLOC
 > configure.in:151: error: possibly undefined macro: jm_PREREQ_QUOTEARG
 > address@hidden:~/a2ps/src/a2ps$

You probably did not run aclocal before.  But then, you are not
supposed to run this by hand.  I suppose there is a "bootstrap" or
"autogen" script in the top level.  It should do that for you (I
suppose you made a fresh check-out of the project?).  Otherwise
running autoreconf -f -v -i is expected to do it.

 > configure.in has the following line

 > m4_pattern_forbid([^jm_[A-Z]])

 > Could you throw some light on this jm* macros, why they are forbidden
 > ?,  If they are forbidden, can i go ahead and remove them from
 > configure.in ?

They are not forbidden, but occurrences of the pattern are forbidden
in the output, since that would mean their definition was not found.
Thanks to this line you do have a real error message instead of
getting a broken configure.

 > thanks for you help and sorry that i bug you, i am still in the
 > process of learning.

Sure :)