printing style, font

From: Seth Rothenberg
Subject: printing style, font
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:42:37 -0400

Greetings,

I searched the archive, found some stuff that's useful
but not yet exactly what I am looking for.

I have been charged with taking some reports that were designed
to be line-printed in landscape (i.e., 132 characters wide),
and magically get them into tiff in portrait format....so
they can be viewed by a Medical Coder in another location.

It's a good thing I believe in Open Source.

I have been using a command like
a2ps -1 -l132 -ooutput.ps  output
then
gs -sDEVICE=tiffg4 -sOutputFile=output.tiff output.ps

What I get is very close, but needs fine-tuning.
I need a document that can be viewed on the screen
for doing data entry.    So, I need to make this report a bit
easier to read.   Ideas:

-bold  -  ( um, I found this in the docs, did it once, lost it....will
search again :-)
-interline spacing - makes it easier to pick out data
(I saw something for this in the docs  for enscript, but I don't think
that's a better tool)
-eliminate all headers/trailers    (like --noheaders)
-eliminate borders so font can be bigger   (have not found this yet).

Switching font may be helpful, eg, an Arial.....but I haven't figured
that out yet.

I would appreciate any pointers to more detailed examples (on web or
even a book).

Thanks
Seth