acl-devel

Re: [Acl-devel] [ANNOUNCE] attr 2.4.47

From: Kamil Dudka
Subject: Re: [Acl-devel] [ANNOUNCE] attr 2.4.47
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 10:22:37 +0200

On Tuesday 21 May 2013 03:40:06 Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Sun, 2013-05-19 at 09:43 -0500, Brandon Philips wrote:
> >       getfattr: return non-zero exit code on failure
>
> That doesn't really fix what I've had reported some time ago
> (https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?33417).

Sorry, I was not aware of your bug report at all.  It was supposed to
fix https://bugzilla.redhat.com/660619 and I believe the bug is fixed.

> While now you use an exit status, it doesn't seem to be a reasonable
> one.

It is quite common to return a non-zero exit code if an error occur, isn't it?

> 1) It seems that the manpages still don't describe which exit status is
> used for what...

Then it is unspecified.  Still, I would expect a non-zero exit code on error.

> 2) It seems that 1 is always used in case of an "error", e.g. when
> xattrs are not supported by the underlying fs:
> # setfattr -n bar -v bar foo
> setfattr: foo: Operation not supported
> # echo $?
> 1
>
> 3) That an attribute is missing, is however not real error, is it?

Definitely not something we should silently ignore I guess.

Kamil