acl-devel

Re: [Acl-devel] Few questions regarding the ACL implementation in Linux

From: Guru Padmavathi
Subject: Re: [Acl-devel] Few questions regarding the ACL implementation in Linux side
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 21:41:45 +0530

Hi Jan,

Sry for the incorrect statement, I'm pretty new to Linux, hence I think I made a wrong statement. Is it possible to tell me why fsetxattr is not supported on sockets. Why was this limitation made. (This might be a very trivial question, but I have no experience working on Linux kernel).

Thank you,
Gururaja Padmavathi

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Jan Engelhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sunday 2013-10-27 17:25, Guru Padmavathi wrote:

>If I understand correctly, with this one can provision read, write
>and execute permissions for a file using setfacl with various
>options. However, I have a question can we apply an ACL on a tcp
>connection, after all everything in Linux is a file.

This is a misconception. Sockets are not files. Files can be opened
using open(2), but that is not true for sockets.

While sockets do have an inode as an implementation detail (so that,
in Linux, file descriptors can be handed out), the sockfs inodes
reject fsetxattr calls -- though they support fgetxattr.