acl-devel

Re: [Acl-devel] Default acl not respected when copying

From: f0rhum
Subject: Re: [Acl-devel] Default acl not respected when copying
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 09:17:31 +0200 (CEST)

from: "Michael Orlitzky"

> And that may be how it's specified, but it's not very helpful assuming
> that I created the default ACL because I wanted it applied by default.
> The need to share a directory between a group of people is one of the
> simplest use cases and is basically impossible on Linux with the current
> cp,tar,etc. behavior. It gets done, but always by telling the end users
> to 'chmod 777' when things don't work. If cp and friends were fixed, the
> system administrator could use default ACLs to achieve the same thing
> securely.

Surely worst than a bug, this maybe be a lack a collaboration between coreutils
and acl teams, or an underlying religion war. A more positive scenario could be
that the teams discovered some security issue (or a crippling performances one)
we're not aware about if cp/mv/tar etc... would ever check for a default acl
and trust/rely acl to set mode bits when they find one (although, mkdir and
touch reach the goal, but they do pure creation). Whatever I feel now that my
linux box is just a techno-toy, not even suited for a family usage, at best a
multi alternated single-user OS.