acl-devel

Re: [Acl-devel] attr.test failures

From: Douglas, William
Subject: Re: [Acl-devel] attr.test failures
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 10:04:22 -0800

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 9:22 AM, Andreas Grünbacher <address@hidden> wrote:
> William,

>> Hello all,
>>
>> Some of the attr.tests seem to be ext2/3/4 specific (namely setfattr
>> -name user.; the getfattr for the "Try various valid and invalid
>> names" section; and the ls -s in the "Everything with one file"
>> section)
>>
>> Namely these tests all fail on btrfs and tmpfs where their isn't a
>> prefix handler and should probably be moved into the ext tests
>> section. Is that something reasonable and would you accept a patch
>> for?
>
> I've just removed some tests which have become pretty meaningless, so
> "make check" will now succeed on file systems with user.* extended
> attribuute support. If we don't expect user.* extended attribute
> support, there isn't much left we can test at all. So what do you
> propose to do?

The file size of extended attribute test was one I'd have removed so
you are ahead of me there. The other test cases for user.* will work
in btrfs/tmpfs but the user. extended attribute is valid for those
filesystems. I'm actually trying to see if this is something that was
intended to be supported in those cases so I'll let you know my
results as they may change their implementation. Regardless the
setfattr -name user. would be the only test that I'd consider for
removal now.