acl-devel

Re: [Acl-devel] [RFC] Add attribute visibility("default") to API functio

From: Andreas Grünbacher
Subject: Re: [Acl-devel] [RFC] Add attribute visibility("default") to API functions
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 14:16:26 +0100

> My understanding is that visibility annotations are indeed useless when
> calling external library function because linker will generate a PLT call
> regardless.  But they are very important for intra-library calls because
> compiler will generate direct call and also optimize much more agressively
> (especially under LTO).

I'm not really sure about that but I'll let you have the benefit of the doubt.

> The real problem here is that the same library header is typically used both
> by external users and by library internals.  AFAIK maintainers typically
> annotate it and users have to live with one more (useless) public macro.

Can we leave the #ifndef ... #endif clause out of the public headers
and install them through "sed -e 's:ACL_API_EXPORT:extern:g'"? If so,
can we also rename ACL_API_EXPORT to EXPORT so that the indentation
will stay the same.

Thanks,
Andreas