acl-devel

Re: [Acl-devel] Man page patch for setfacl

From: Michael Orlitzky
Subject: Re: [Acl-devel] Man page patch for setfacl
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:28:50 -0500

On 01/22/2018 03:02 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> i think we should change the behavior to match coreutils wrt looking up
> the account first (like my patch does).  however, i'm not exactly keen
> on the + hack since that too is a valid character in a username.
> -mike

Some systems are pretty loose with the rules (especially if you bypass
the standard tools), but so long as we're using POSIX as our motivation,

== 3.437 User Name ==

A string that is used to identify a user; see also User Database. To be
portable across systems conforming to POSIX.1-2008, the value is
composed of characters from the portable filename character set. The
<hyphen-minus> character should not be used as the first character of a
portable user name.

== 3.282 Portable Filename Character Set ==

The set of characters from which portable filenames are constructed.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . _ -

Found here:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap03.html#tag_03_437

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap03.html#tag_03_282