ada-mode-users

Re: Installation problems (wisi 3.1.3)

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Installation problems (wisi 3.1.3)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 12:14:32 -0700

Jeronimo Pellegrini via "Announcements about and discussion of Emacs Ada
mode." <ada-mode-users@nongnu.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install ada-mode, but wisi doesn't seem to build.
>
> The versions of relevant packages are:
>
> ada-mode  7.1.4
> wisi      3.1.3
> gnat      10.2.1 20210110
> gprbuild  Pro 18.0w (19940713)

> gen_run_wisi_lr_parse.ads:27:65: generic private child packages not
> permitted

This is a known bug in FSF gnat, triggered by the compiler option
-gnat2020.

The only workaround is to use Community GNAT 2019 or 2020 (from
https://www.adacore.com/download), or possibly an earlier FSF version.

I only test with Community or Pro (supported) versions of GNAT.

> I'm not sure what's going on (I wish I could debug more, but I'm
> actually starting to learn Ada...)

In the past I've mainly focused on professional users of Ada (with
support contracts); I need to pay more attention to newbie issues.

I'm hoping the next release will be friendlier by providing pre-compiled
executables that download automatically (with confirmation).

--
-- Stephe