ada-mode-users

Re: Compilation woes on Debian bullseye

From: Manuel Gómez
Subject: Re: Compilation woes on Debian bullseye
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 00:14:01 +0200

Am 9/9/21 um 21:55 schrieb Rolf Ebert:
> I always liked Debian for the stability of its tools. It is unfortunate
> that neither the standard Debian compiler nor the current Adacore
> compiler can compile the ada-mode utilities.
>
> Rolf
>
> Am 08.09.2021 um 23:16 schrieb Rolf Ebert:
>> Simon told me how to compile gnatcoll-db and I could install it. But
>> that doesn't solve the problem when compiling ada_process_actions.adb
>>
>> It doesn't work with Debian's standard Ada compiler (FSF GNAT 10.2) nor
>> does it work with AdaCore's Community Edition 2021.
>>
>> Is there a compiler on Debian that is known to correctly compile the
>> ada-mode programs?

I think Alire can help a lot in cases like this, where exact dependencies, either to the toolchain or the used libraries, are required. You can specify which versions of each dependency are acceptable. Alire will download and build the dependencies listed in the catalog, either from external sources or from your local package manager. For the toolchain, the latest release candidate allow to define the required GNAT version and will install it from different sources. In my opinion, building ada-mode will be easier with Alire, independently of a possible broadening of the version requirements in future releases of ada-mode.