ada-mode-users

Re: Gnu Emacs Ada mode 7.3.beta released.

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Gnu Emacs Ada mode 7.3.beta released.
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 16:22:02 -0700

Stephane Carrez <Stephane.Carrez@vacs.fr> writes:

> I was able to build and install (well, I did it several times until it
> succeeded :-)).
> It's not clear which compiler can be used but with GCC 12.1 it worked.

Thanks for the feedback.

> I had problems in the past to build wisi-3.1.7 on Ubuntu 20.04 with gnat-9.
> I also had problems with compiling with GNAT community 2021 so I switch to
> gcc 12...
> May be you can add a note about which compiler must be used?

There is a list in ada-mode.info; section Known Versions.

I'm planning on releasing wisi and ada-mode thru Alire, which I hope
will reduce the compiler confusion. However, if people are using other
compilers, gpr_query must still be compiled for them.

> I've noted that `ada_mode_wisi_lr1_parse` is consuming more and more memory.
> It's not a regression since I've observed that with ada-mode-7.1.3.

In incremental mode, it should use a lot more; it saves the syntax tree
for each buffer you have open. The memory used for error
recovery is typically larger than a single syntax tree, but transient.

Did you try (setq wisi-incremental-parse-enable t)?

> I have the habit of never stopping/killing emacs to keep my buffers and other
> context.
> After 2 or 3 days of editing, I regularly get a wisi parser that uses
> more than 1G of RSS memory.
> (one day up to 8G)

You can recover the memory used by one buffer with M-x
wisi-reset-parser. You can recover all the memory used by all the
buffers with wisi-kill-parser.

On Windows, the memory is returned to the OS; I'm not sure if that's
true on Linux.

> ciceron 1824283 0.2 6.1 1058396 998768 ? Ss juil.12 10:15
> /build/gcc-12.1/bin/ada_mode_wisi_lr1_parse
> ciceron  1824275  0.3  0.7 448936 114040 pts/14  Sl   juil.12  15:16 emacs
>
> I don't use any feature of the ada-mode except the auto-indentation
> while writing code.

What do you use for cross-reference?

> Is there anything I can do to help you spot this issue?

See the new functions wisi-parse-enable-memory-report,
wisi-parse-memory-report-reset, wisi-parse-memory-report. Maybe you can
get some useful information.

If you suspect there is a memory leak, rather than just a lot of memory
for a lot of buffers, a recipe that reliably causes the memory report to
grow when it should not would be best.

--
-- Stephe