Re: [Adonthell-devel] mac os x port - success stories

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] mac os x port - success stories
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 11:09:10 +0200

On 01 May 2002 10:29:34 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> > Anywayz, I'd like to think I've gotten quite far. I've managed to
> > get it compiled and working... sort of. When I run waste's edge, the
> > intro starts nicely... but there are problems. For some odd reason
> > or another, it won't accept keyboard input (although i can use the
> > arrow keys to start and load games, and also quit at the main menu)
> > I can't define a name, but I can delete the default name. After the
> > intro, all i see is a house roof and some grass... after that i can
> > *nothing*.
>
> Ah, when you just see the house roof and some grass, this means the
> mapview is looking at (0, 0), that is, it is not centered on the
> character it should target. To be more precise, the mapview schedule
> isn't loaded correctly. You certainly had error messages about this in
> the console (or whatever stdout is outputted to on macos - under
> Windows it's a file named stdout.txt/stderr.txt).

Looks like that. You should definately run configure with the
--enable-py-debug option. If there are any problems with the python
interpreter, you'll get more verbose error messages that way.

> > Thane, in the make file, i had to get rid of the -E option for
> > /usr/local/bin/ld (or was it /usr/bin/ld ?) since it didn't like
> > that.
>
> Ah, that's something we should notice at configure time. Isn't libtool
> supposed to take care of that?

No. I set this manually. It's something GNU ld needs to correctly link
to python - libtool wouldn't know that this flag is needed. But I
already made an exception for Solaris, so we can put in another one for
OS X to omit the flag as it seems to work without it.

> > f) finally, to make things a little cleaner, I added symbolic links
> > in /sw/bin for /usr/local/bin/adonthell and adonthell-wastesedge
>
> Does programs need to be in /sw/bin on macos? Then we could fix that
> at configure time too.

Simply passing the --prefix=/sw option to configure would help here
already. Although I remember from my BeOS experiments that
adonthell-wastesedge will always end up in /usr/local/bin, no matter
where adonthell is installed. I consider that a flaw as well, but
haven't gotten around to fix it yet ;).

> You are! :) Actually, if you worked on a release, just getting the
> latest source might be enough to get it to work! :)

That might well be the case. Remember that you also need the latest data
in that case. Cirrus shouldn't have problems to get it from CVS.