Re: [Adonthell-devel] mac os x port - success stories

From: Nils Hesse
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] mac os x port - success stories
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 16:16:33 +0000

Either you get them from the sources (you'll need codec.h, vorbisenc.h
and vorbisfile.h, placed into /sw/include/vorbis/) or you try to install
Ogg Vorbis from the sources; then you'll have all neccessary files as
well.
Well, I've ceased fixing the colour problem for now.... so I'm working one sound... (ambitious, I know). Kai, I have those files but still, during the ./configure it won't run the test program.... do you think I should try re-installing ogg from source? Or do I need the Python bindings too? It would be good to know how you guys 'play' the ogg files... via SDL, python or just via ogg directly (can this be done?). For the final OS X implementation (see below), it would be kinda cool if we could somehow use quicktime ... as there is an oggvorbis component for that.

On a different issue, I was wondering how the adonthell program is split up. I know that adonthell is the game engine... and I gather that it uses python for certain things and SDL for others..... basically what are the different components, what language are they written in, what other libs do they use?

My reason for asking this is that basically I want to eventually (i.e. long time in the future - once I've converted from a Java programmer to a C/Obj-C/Cocoa programmer - good 2-3 months) convert adonthell into an actual mac os x native app so that we have a 'real' port of it. SDL, python and vorbis all exist natively in os x so there's no reason why it couldn't work....

BTW, can I get in on the next IRC meeting?

Regards,
r:Nilz