Re: [Adonthell-devel] OSX / Fink issues

From: Nils Hesse
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] OSX / Fink issues
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 15:37:39 +0000

Hi all! Looks like Mac OS X porting is in full swing again! :)

Ben, I'm sorry to say that I really can't help you very much. Kai already mentioned, I'm a novice programmer (actually, even worse, a Java programmer :) ) and have absolutely no idea how automake and autoconf work and just now the principles of configure :( sorry... I just like trying loads of things...

Any ideas? This stuff should be disabled...
well, i dunno. which sources did you download? The tarball or the sit? The sit should work just fine.... (out of the box, if you will, seeing how you already got all the packages installed)

I have experience turning SDL apps into double clickable OSX apps. However, adonthell's reliance on python complicates matters, since python doesn't come with OSX. We might need to just stay as a fink package.
Even so that would be a hell of a lot better than what we have now :). As for python, I managed to get python compiled out-of-the box in Mac OS X (not fink) without any probs... only thing is, it's still command line. Of course, there is a carbon version of macpython out there somewhere but I think that would just complicate things... other than that, there is also a slow-going sourceforge project which is aiming to get an Obj-C bridge working for python... dunno how much that helps... there's a good article on o'reilly onlamp about python on os x... you might wanna check it out:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/2002/1/31/pythonnews.html

BTW, Ben, on a personal note, I wanted to know what would be the best way to get into Mac OS X programming? I was thinking first C, then Apple's Obj-C book/pdf, and then a good book on Cocoa? Any recommendations? Also, I was wondering... does the Cocoa framework cater for network programming (or making apps similar to java's servlets) or is that an entirely different area?

> > The problem is that Nils doesn't know much about automake, whereas I
> > don't have access to a Mac. That makes fixing this problem a little
> > difficult.
Kai (or anyone else with an x86 box for that matter) if you have a spare partition and a lot of time flying around, you could try Apple's x86 Darwin port... it's essentially the unix part of Mac OS X... so if you add fink to that, you're pretty much at the stage where me an ben are (save the GUI --- but you can get X11 working).

Kind Regards,
r:Nilz