[Adonthell-devel] Division by Zero

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Division by Zero
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:48:31 +0100

People, until now we had quite a serious problem in our code. Have a
look at the following test program:

    int main(void)
    {
      int x = (int) (4/(float)0);
      printf ("x = %i", x);
    }

You think it's gonna crash? Nope, works fine :P. That's basically the
code we had in win_scroll.cc, line 91. For some reasons, this didn't
cause any problems for most of the people (at least nobody cared to
complain). That's why it took me quite long to figure it out after some
guy did complain:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?func=detailsupport&support_id=101454&group_id=702

I have no confirmation yet whether the problem is really fixed, but
after I managed to reproduce the crash on my own box, I'd say it is. So
I guess we should make a little update to the source code package, once
it is confirmed. I can do that, no problem. Question is, should we call
it 0.3.4, or keep the 0.3.3 version number?

I'll also go and retry stuff on BeOS once more. As the crash there is
also happening during dialogues, it's most likely that it is the same
problem.

Well, so much for crazy bugs in our code :)