[Adonthell-devel] Introduction and Comments

From: David White
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Introduction and Comments
Date: 14 Dec 2002 23:16:28 +1100

Hi everyone,

I've just stumbled across the Adonthell project, and I'm rather
intrigued by it. I played Waste's Edge through to conclusion, and along
the way had a number of problems/bugs, which as far as I can see, aren't
reported elsewhere:

- Once, I entered the room containing Lady Silverhair, and then couldn't
get out again, because she was blocking the exit. I eventually saved the
game and loaded it again, and as soon as I loaded the game, people began
moving about, and I could get out.

- I entered the room containing lady Silverhair, wanting to speak with
her. She was one tile north of the door way, with her assistant one tile
to the west of her. The configuration essentially looks like this:
.W|

..|

where W is the wardrobe, L is the lady, and A is the assistant. On entry
into the room, the character moves to the tile south of the assistant.
Moving to the tile south of the lady exits the room. Thus, there is no
way to move next to the lady and speak with her. I had to solve this by
slightly differently led to the characters standing in different
positions.

- Once when I loaded the saved game in the Lady's room, a conversation
dialog with Bjorn inexplicably popped up.

- In the Makefile for the dlgedit and other tools, the gtk include and
library directories weren't set properly. I had to change the lines

GTK_CFLAGS =
GTK_LIBS =

to,

GTK_CFLAGS = `gtk-config --cflags`
GTK_LIBS = `gtk-config --libs`

to get it to build.

I apologize if any or all of these are known problems. Also, I assume
that the dialogs in Waste's Edge were generated using dlgedit. If so, I
couldn't find the dlgedit data files with the Waste's Edge tarball. Are
they available?

I am interested in development of Adonthell. I'm a C++ programmer with
experience developing both commercial and open source software. I
noticed that there is no level editor currently available - has any work
started on one? Would it be useful for me to write one?

Cheers,

-David.