Re: [Adonthell-devel] Unix and Non-Unix installs

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Unix and Non-Unix installs
Date: 02 Feb 2003 14:28:39 +0100

I'm having interrogations about the packaging as well, especially since
we're probably going to head towards shared libraries. That is, I don't
really think it'd be appropriate to have all the Adonthell shared
libraries in /usr/lib. I'd be rather for having them in one special,
Adonthell-dedicated directory, say /usr/lib/adonthell/ - like many other
packages do (just ls into your /usr/lib).

Tools using our libs could then ask the Adonthell binary where the
libraries are (a la sdl-config).

So this sounds a lot like a non-Unix install, but this isn't really,
since the binaries would still end in /usr/bin. Having a non-Unix
install the way you described would certainly be very useful, would it
be for cross-packaging. How to do it accurately, I don't really know -
especially since the engine and the game are two separate packages.

Anyway, since I'm slaughtering 0.4's structure right now, maybe it'd be
time to think about it! :)

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org