Re: [Adonthell-devel] character class

From: ksterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] character class
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 11:17:42 +0100

Von: Mike Avery <address@hidden>

> Sorry to switch gears here totally Kai.  The character class
> implementationreally is a pretty heavy requirement for the manager
> class.  Just makes
> sense to me to get the chracter stuff in palce first.  I hope I'm not
> pissing you off!  I'm jumping all over the place as I read and come to
> understand existing code, so I may seem a bit flippant until I'm
> comfortable.

No worries! I fear the problem is that one does not really know the
requirements of the
character class before thinking ahead. Which basically means we'll have to jump
back
and forth until all the functionality is there.

> I'm looking at the stuff in char-test/character/  and comparing to
> what is
> in place on the C++ side.  The Pythion stuff is much further advanced
> obviously as we discussed earlier.  So how do you envision the
> characterclass implemented?

Much like with item_base.cc and item.py, I think. The functionality is provided
by the
python implementation. The C++ class provides an interface, so it can be
accessed from
C++ side. As with item_base, we might want to keep functionality that is mainly
required on C++ side in the C++ character class, though.

> A C++ skeleton with python extending the class for specific
> races/creatures/party members, or do you want the core rules
> reflected in C++ (stats, attributes), with creature/character/party
> attributes defined in python files?

When we want to be flexible with the rules, the former would be the better
solution, I
think. Of course that makes only sense if the rules are also kept mainly on
Python side.

As said above, what should be kept on C++ side are those things required by
other
parts of the C++ code.

> If you could give me a rundown on how you want the
> characterclass implemented I could take what is already there and
> bring the c++/Pythno sides up to speed.  Then I would feel more
> comfortable looking at manager stuff since we have something to
> manage!

Cool. Then lets see (have to be quick as I'm currently in a lecture and my
battery is
running low :()

Since we agreed that the stats would be put into a seperate class, most stuff
that
currently is in character.py would be moved elsewhere.

I guess the various inventories would remain with the character class, though.
(Backpack, equipment, spells, feats, ...)

Then there's the party management code. Not quite sure how that would be
implemented. But I guess it'd be a canditate for the C++ side, while the above
would
reside on Python side.

On top of the C++ character_base class would then sit the schedule system,
which
would control the movement of characters on the map (again via Python scripts).
But
that's less interesting for now, I believe.

I imagine that you already have some things in mind, which are required for
your stat-
mangling to function. So feel free to tear my character code apart, keep what
you wish,
rewrite what needs to be changed, add what's missing. The only thing to keep in
mind is
to allow for flexibility. Somebody should be able to take the engine, change
the python
scripts and thus come up with a completely different character/rule system.