Re: [Adonthell-devel] Thoughts about modules

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Thoughts about modules
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:07:36 +0100

Am Sonntag, 15.02.04 um 20:14 Uhr schrieb Alexandre Courbot:

I've begun implementing the current map model prototype in C++, under the "landmap" module. Doing so, I've noticed that "landmap" will never have to use something else than "base" and "event" (as could be excepted, since the game mechanisms and user interfaces are now completely separated). Worse, it appears that all our modules could actually be divided into two types of
modules: the game modules and the input/output modules.
[...]
The interesting thing to notice is that the I/O modules are the only ones to require a backend (like SDL) and the special starting method using backend loading. What it means is that a server-only binary will never need to load a
single backend

Doesn't a server use network (which might depend on backends for portability)?

Maybe we have to redefine our design here. I'd like to see something more coherent, although I fail to imagine how it would look like. Any idea about
this?

If a server app really would have no need for a backend, then a slightly different design would be good. However, I am not quite sure what can be done. Either we'd add some #ifdef SERVER directives to libmain to exclude the backend code, or we could write a libservermain. But both alternatives aren't really that great.

OTOH, libmain was written to take care of initializing the I/O part where needed. If a server app doesn't need this, perhaps it best to not link it to libmain.

(Besides, if libmain would really include something like a game launcher and settings dialog, it would (a) require libgui and libinput and (b) should not appear in a server app.)

PS: Jol and I will be present at FOSDEM 2004, if some of you go there too, we
could have a drink! ;)

Sorry, but I'm too busy ... :(