[Adonthell-devel] Re: Fwd: Adonthell Development

From: ksterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Fwd: Adonthell Development
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:24:00 +0200

Von: James Nash <address@hidden>
Datum: Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2004, 20:57

Hi All, Rob!

> Hi Kai!
> Just received this email from a student in the year below mine. He's
> interested in doing some work on Adonthell. His idea sounds a little
> bit like the player's journal we're going to have.

As far as I understand, Robs idea would extend the journal somewhat. FYI, a
journal is partly in place already. See the rpg module in CVS:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/adonthell/adonthell/src/rpg/?sortby=date#dirlist

Implemented in files log_* and quest.* - a little more info can be found here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-devel/2004-07/msg00001.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-devel/2004-07/msg00002.html

Part of the info might be outdated by the implementation, but it should give
the general direction.

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: "Robert J Meerman" <address@hidden>
> > Date: October 13, 2004 19:03:26 BST
> > To: <address@hidden>
> > Subject: Adonthell Development
> >
> > Hey there!
> >
> > I'm 3rd year CompSci at Warwick and I was researching for my 3rd year
> > project when I came across the Adonthell opensource role playing game.
> > My project idea is to make some sort of narrative summary engine for
> > video games - mostly because I play a lot of console games and after
> > some particularly long break due to exams I'd completely forgotten
> > where I was and what I was meant to be doing; I thought it'd be nice
> > to have an (optional) summary when you load your game - like you get
> > on most TV shows. Of course I'd need a game to apply this all to.

That does sound like a good idea. Even if we have the logbook / journal I
started a few months ago, it would accumulate more and more information the
further people get into the game. If there would be a mechanism on top of it
that keeps track of the latest developments, the last few quests the player was
busy with and presents those after loading, that would indeed be nice.

> > Do you know if Adonthell would benefit from this sort of idea? If so
> > do you think it's do-able?

Yes and probably yes. Although it would of course depend on what exactly you
had in mind. If I understood correctly, then you might be able to add something
on top of the existing log / quest implementation.

If you decide to contribute your idea to Adonthell, then you are welcome to
take over the log / quest stuff completely, including the required editor. It'd
mean something less on my list and would also lay stuff into the hands of
somebody who's really concerned about the issue.

So if you're interested, please tell us more about your ideas and have a look
at the links and sources above. With a bit of luck, you'll find the basic
requirements already present and ready to extend.