Re: [Adonthell-devel] sql database for gamedata?

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] sql database for gamedata?
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:13:14 +0200

On 3/31/06, Alexander Hupfer <address@hidden> wrote:

> That's true but its a question of what Adonthell is supposed to be. I
> think it's more a RPG creation framework than just an RPG, so it would
> be a direct competitor to RPGmaker2k, that has a quite large community
> that features amazing games. RPGmaker however is - by it's closed source
> nature - more limited than Adonthell. But it is quite simple to use, at
> least for the beginning, so it tends to attract people that are less
> technical skilled in thing like getting up and CVS server and so on.
> However to get an SQL server should be quite easy as most webhosting
> providers feature one. And exactly this might be the killer feature to
> reach the community.

I agree. However, this would limit people to the item, character and
rules implementations that we have created. (Which is okay for the
less tech-savvy modders). But it would prevent people from writing
their own rules and character, etc. implementations.

Of course, if you manage a db design that is so flexible that it can
be used for most types of implementations, that would be okay. But I
think it will not be that easy to understand anymore.

As with CVS, you get those at berlios.de, savannah.nongu.org or
sourceforge.net for free, and I imagine that somebody who can setup a
database can also use a CVS (and explain its usage to other community
members.)