Re: [Adonthell-devel] [Quickstart]problem when running the test

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] [Quickstart]problem when running the test
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:15:45 +0200

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 2:05 PM, pierre filot <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi!

> I wanted to get to know more about the project by following the step by step
> quickstart, but I didnt manage to run any of the test (smallworld and
> worldtest). I downloaded the last version from Git. I suspect the
> installation not to run correctly in fact I don't get created the path
> /usr/local/share/games/adonthell/ :(

That is not yet created by the installation of the current version. It
might change soon, though. From the output below, everything looks
good. You just happened to try out the code at a bad time, as my last
commit changed a couple of things and left others in a bit of a broken
state.

> by running test/worldtest -g ../adonthell/test/data (add data in order to
> load "test-world.xml"):

With the latest change, the proper command would be

test/worldtest -g ../adonthell/test data

That means, run the game present in 'data', using a custom data
directory adonthell/test (since nothing is yet installed to the actual
data directory (/usr/local/share/games/adonthell/).

There are some more details about that latest change and what it broke
here: http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-devel/2009-10/msg00007.html

> well, despite that, I'd like to know if I can somehow contribute to this
> project.

Of course :-). Any help is greatly appreciated!

> I already looked at the open tasks. is there any of them more
> suitable to start with...

Hm ... all of them have a certain complexity, I fear. Something simple
(which isn't really listed) could be to add loading/saving of the
audio subsystem state. I.e. which audio files where "open", which
event handlers registered. The email above also has some details about
the loading/saving stuff is supposed to work and more info is here

 http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-devel/2009-10/msg00006.html

and here

http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Architecture:Base_Module#Data_Persistence

But in general, pick whatever interests you most. Even if things are
difficult, we can surely work out a design together and help if an
area of the code is unclear.

Kai

P.S. I'm currently on a business trip, so I might not be around the
IRC channel often over the next days. But I'll read and answer emails
just fine.