[Adonthell-devel] Re: Rendering issue

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Rendering issue
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:55:15 +0200

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'll try to commit stuff I have tomorrow night, so you can try out #1
> for yourself.

It's in. You can get onto the roof by jumping onto the barrel first.

Also thought a bit about the rendering bug itself. The renderer is
written with the assumption that there is no overlap between objects,
as if they'd be Lego bricks.

However, in the two instances above, overlap does occur. With the
doorway, the character moves through the wall. The collision
information lets him, but the renderer uses a simpler bounding box and
so character and doorframe intersect from the renderers point of view.
Similar with walking on the roof. It is sloped as far as the collision
information is concerned, but for the renderer it looks like the
character is half-sunken into the roof.

There is some code in place to handle this (world/renderer.cc, line
208 and below), but it is not very solid. Mainly because it's still
work-in-progress (see the sketch and stuff here:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-devel/2008-04/msg00014.html,
paragraph starting with "One additional thing:"). I thought this could
wait until after the Waste's Edge migration. Code is pretty much
prepared to do the implementation though.