[Adonthell-devel] Re: Scaling

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Scaling
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 20:19:59 +0100

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> Implemented for the SDL 1.2 and 1.3 backends, but not heavily tested
> yet. Works well on my Linux box with the 1280x1024 screen though. Will
> test with different screens later.

Doesn't work on the MacBook Pro, with it's 1440x900 resolution.
720x450 (2x) is larger than the 640 maximum horizontal size and
480x300 (3x) smaller than the minimum 360 vertical size. OTOH, it
worked great with the 1920x1080 TV hooked up. Even though desktop was
expanded over TV and internal screen, with the TV set up as primary,
the view opened fullscreen on the TV. Pretty neat :-).No idea how well
that'll work with X11 or Win32 under similar circumstances, though.

Anyway, I'd suggest allowing the 720 resolution to enable the 1440x900
display. Maybe even go to 800 for the device reported here:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-artwork/2010-08/msg00010.html

OTOH, in a special case like this, people could manually enter the
desired resolution into the config file.

And if you check lists of (more or less) common LCD resolutions (like
this one:
http://luckmc11.blogspot.com/2006/07/19-lcd-resolutions-and-ratios.html)
you'll find others that fail the currently implemented limits (The
monitor I used to have at my previous job had 1680x1050 and would not
have fit the scheme either).

What's also to consider is that larger screen size will not
necessarily yield in a larger view of the gameworld. On the bright
side, there's no image distortion and we can safely enable fullscreen
mode on X11 (unlike with v0.3, where the 320x240 resolution usually
required custom modeline entries).

Feel free to test and report back so we can fine-tune.