[Adonthell-devel] Modeller file associations (was: Mapedit filtering)

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Modeller file associations (was: Mapedit filtering)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 23:36:56 +0200

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> There's one more thing on my mind, however. As discussed before, I
> want to change the file extensions for models and maps at least, so
> that they can be associated with the respective tools. My suggestion
> would be .amdl and .amap (as it would be consistent with .adlg), but
> I'm open to something else too. That will require a change to the
> engine, so it can detect file type by peeking at the content instead
> of just checking the extension. That way, existing models (like all
> the test data) could keep their current .xml extension, but the new
> ones we create for the WE remake should best be switched over to the
> new naming scheme.

This seemed more interesting than the other stuff, so worked on that for a bit.

With newest engine and tools, you will now be able to double-click on
.amdl files to open them in modeller. At least if you are running
Linux. To get this working, make sure to 'make install' in
adonthell-tools too.

You will also find that I have started prefixing the tools with
adonthell-, so you'll have to launch adonthell-dlgedit or
adonthell-modeller now.

And, as an added benefit, when starting modeller from the command
line, it's no longer necessary to pass the -g and -p parameters if you
specify a model to load. I.e.

  adonthell-modeller
adonthell/wastesedge/models48/map/wall/outside/white/out-IBL.xml

Also note that all these changes are backwards compatible. I.e. even
without renaming all models to .amdl, stuff will still continue to
work.