[Adonthell-devel] Next steps

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Next steps
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 22:49:02 +0100

Just a brief status update.

After getting the website back online, I still want to concentrate on
advertising Adonthell some more to potential contributors. I've
started preparations to create tutorial videos for mapedit/modeller.
Need to do some more planning, however. But the general idea is to
start with creating the Redwyne Inn lower level, then building on
that.

On the coding side I've started picking up some small bits and pieces,
working towards being able to clear the current state and replace it
with a saved game one.

Also want to make the map file format ready for distributed editing.
Instead of storing objects by their index (which changes as new
objects are added to the map), a hash would be calculated based on the
object's filename and path, so that when two developers add the same
object to the map, both times the same hash will be generated and the
result can be easily merged. And if both add different objects to the
map, the hash would be different, so that no conflict can occur. Also,
during saving, objects would be sorted by hash, so that map file
contents will not change as much as they do right now. I've already
changed the loading routine to support the hash-based format, but
nothing else.

Will keep you updated ...