[Adonthell-devel] Mapedit improvements

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Mapedit improvements
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 11:50:03 +0200

Some suggestions for improving mapedit usability. Guess I'll want to
implement at least a few of those in the near future. But if somebody
else wants to have a go, feel free. [Items of lesser imporance in
brackets.]

* Allow to set the Z editing position to either the top or bottom of a
tile already on the map. Probably just a keyboard shortcut, as a
menu-entry makes little sense as hovering over the desired tile is
required. But this would make it a lot easier to switch editing of
different layers. It also makes the next point less important.

* [Display the dimensions of an object (length, width, height), at
least in the property window, better also in the status bar for
objects under the cursor. For those the position (X,Y,Z) could also be
interesting to see.]

* Improve height level filtering. Right now uses the bottom of objects
to filter them, but with the current approach to walls and floors it
would be better to use the top of objects to filter them. This would
allow to filter the walls and still see scenery and characters placed
on the same level as the walls.

* [Improve object selection. A character behind a door is visible, but
cannot be selected as the door object is in front. By making better
use of the collision information, selecting the character in the
doorway could be allowed. OTOH, with the above improvement in place,
it'll become easier to hide the walls while still keeping the
character visible for selection.]

* Allow to bring up entity properties dialog from entity list (thought
that was in place already, but obviously it isn't, or I forgot how to
trigger it)

* For large objects, when in auto-grid mode, set the grid to a smaller
size to allow more flexible positioning. Mostly useful for floor tiles
that are multiples of the 48x36 grid, as well as stuff like the stairs
that need to be aligned with the top and bottom floor. Window and door
wall pieces are also twice the size of regular walls and would benefit
from that as well.

Also, I managed to crash mapedit by changing zoom level while being in
"paint" mode. Luckily I had saved not long before. But I need to
investigate and fix that too. Other than that, it did run quite stable
and I didn't notice any real bugs.