adonthell-minigame

[Adonthell-minigame] Random minigame ideas

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-minigame] Random minigame ideas
Date: Thu Feb 7 13:27:02 2002

I've seen through the mails Nezumi forwarded and came up with a few
thoughts of my own.

However, as it was said, we have to define the properties of the reagents
first, before we can really go about making rules for the game.

The first idea concerns the board itself.
We have introduced those for elements together with the reagents, so maybe
the board could reflect these elements somehow. I imagine a board with an
odd number of squares. It is devided into 4 regions, each one devoted to
on of the elements.

             Air

    +---+---+---+---+---+
    |   | a | a | a |   |
    +---+---+---+---+---+
 W  | w |   | a |   | f |  F
 a  +---+---+---+---+---+  i
 t  | w | w |   | f | f |  r
 e  +---+---+---+---+---+  e
 r  | w |   | e |   | f |
    +---+---+---+---+---+
    |   | e | e | e |   |
    +---+---+---+---+---+

            Earth

That results in 3 types of squares:

1. Squares belonging to a certain element.
   I could imagine that those might give some benefits to pieces of the
   same element. Maybe it would require an opposing element to capture it,
   or something like that.

2. Squares between two regions
   That are squares where 2 elements 'overlap'. They exist in 4 different
   flavours:
   Earth/Fire, Earth/Water, Air/Fire, Air/Water.
   This square might allow to exchange pieces instead of making a 'real'
   move. A Water piece on a Air/Water square could be replace with an Air
   piece (to hunt down the opponents earth piece in the earth area).

3. The middle sqare
   As all 4 elements meet here, this would be sort of neutral ground, but
   it could also serve a special purpose I can't think of right now.

All that implies of course that pieces can (in theory) move in any
direction. But like in chess, different pieces might have different moves.

I thought I had a second idea (and I had a second idea!), but it is now
integrated into the first one. Basically it was that there could be means
to 'transform' pieces as the game progresses. That's exactly what the 'type
2' squares presented above do, so no need to say more about it here.

Kai