adr-devel

Re: [adr-devel] Fwd: Debian Amanda and live-package

From: Stefan G. Weichinger
Subject: Re: [adr-devel] Fwd: Debian Amanda and live-package
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:02:33 +0200

Alex Owen schrieb:
> Hello there... I am working on amada and DR again... I am intending to
> use the new (in debian unstable) live-package script to build a live
> cd and a netboot (readonly NFSroot) platform for amanda DR. There is
> some hacking on the live-package netbooting initrd that needs to be
> done (the casper package to be precise) and I want to add serial
> console support to live package (should be OK modulo a kernel
> panic!!!).
>
> Anyway I think live-package could be a good platform for generating
> both CDrom and Netboot disaster recovery images for debian at least..
> this would give us a platform to (continue) to develop DR scripts for
> amanda/debian.
>
> I also need to extend the stuff to restore RPM distros... but I'll
> think about that another day!
>
> I'll keep this list posted of any interesting developments...

Oh my, ADR still exists ....

I planned to close that project some months ago, but wasn't able to do
it quickly, so I left it running ...

I'd like to see such a live cd as well as a netboot-image. In fact I
fiddled around with PXE-booting recently when setting up a nice diskless
distcc-cluster in my basement ;)

I am not sure if your development should go into that old ADR-project,
or if we should start a new one, for example I could donate some
webspace on one of my servers. Or we start a fresh one on sourceforge or
something similar.

As you may have registered I have gone passive now in the
Amanda-core-team, I had to do that because of several reasons. But I am
still open to new developments, just keeping the ball low for now.

Greetings, Stefan.