advent-devel

Re: [Advent-devel] uses of advent

From: Giuliano Pochini
Subject: Re: [Advent-devel] uses of advent
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:02:38 +0200 (CEST)

On 21-Oct-2002 Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
> "Frank W. Samuelson" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I've been thinking of using advent to make some maze games for my
>> son, where he must make a character walk through a maze. From the
>> cosmos example, making a 2-D maze seems relatively simple.
>>
>> But I was wondering if there is a way to do something like this:
>> http://www.merrill-samuelson.com/ex.png where the shaded region is a
>> bridge, for example. The character can both walk on the bridge and
>> under the bridge, but not off the sides.
>
> Currently something like that is not possible, since the walk-map is
> just a simple flat 2D map, with no extra-tags or special colors to
> mark such a region. But there are two solutions which could be
> implemented: [...]

I think there are two solutions. One is to switch to a 3D system,
which is a mess and doesn't fit well in a inerently 2D world. Another
way is to use multiple linked walkable areas. Everything works exactly
as when there is a only one area, unless start and end points are in
different areas. In this case:
 ______        ______
|  _   \      /  :_  |
| | \   \    /   / | |
| |  \   \  / B /  | |
| |   \ A \/   /   | |
| |    \   \  /    | |
|A|     \   \/     | |
| |     /\   \     |A|
| |    /  \   \    | |
| |   /   /\   \   | |
| |  / B /  \ A \  | |
| |_/   /    \   \_| |
|___:__/      \______|

I made 2 areas. B is the path under the bridge, and when the
hero walks here we can switch layers to prevent the bridge
from being drawed over the hero (I don't know if Advent
already have a method to address this problem). Yes, it's more
difficult to find the shortest path between tho points.
A read some papers about walkable areas some time ago. The
proposed solution was to not use an arbitrary bitmap to define
walkabe areas, but to use polygons linked together instead. It
makes everything easier to implement IMHO.

Bye.