af-test

[Af-test] enigma

From: Henry Copeland
Subject: [Af-test] enigma
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:57:56 -0700

I wish I knew what youre talking about, Flannery said. Beetham lighted his cigarette and tossed away the match. What I mean comes gradually into the light, Chan told him.
His air of uncertainty hadvanished; he was alert and confident.
Miss Morrow rose, and placed a chair for the other woman.
Flannery answered, and then relinquished it to MissMorrow.
You didnt know that he had come to San Francisco to find Eve Durand?
He left the next morning on a long journey through the Khyber Pass? About Li Gungs relatives in Jackson Street?
Pleasure would be impossible to deny ourselves, Chan told him. When you said good-by, you told him to lie low over in Hawaii.
The other morning youwrote letters in office, giving same to me to mail. Not if hemakes a full confession himself. I wish I knew what youre talking about, Flannery said.
You havent been doing any too much digging, Flannery chided.
Then he knows something about Beethams journeys? I wish I knew what youre talking about, Flannery said.
There was no time to procure a velvet couch, Chan suggested gently. What I mean comes gradually into the light, Chan told him.
Flannery was in constant touch with the figures onthe face of his watch. Only had about thirty-six hours to tell me, eh?
He suggests I might makecunning inquiries of the man, but I am forced to refuse the task.
Motion pictures, you know, of Tibet-Yes, yes. In a few hours at the most your head will be ringing with your ownpraises.
He went to the inner door and calledloudly: Pat! At the door Chan went off with Inspector Duff. Please shift all guilt from those prettyshoulders to my extensive ones.
His manner was nonchalant,and, as always, rather condescending. Really, you know, Imfrightfully ignorant of your many rules and regulations. That just above our heads the light isblazing. Flannery came in, followed by Inspector Duff. At the end of another half-hour, Flannery was fuming. Beautifully, sighed Miss Morrow, her eyes on the door through which theexplorer had gone. Iplant in his mind a suspicion of Beetham.
Not to mention, said Chan gently, the velvet slippers. Leaving Captain Flannery to an enthusiastic contemplation of his owncleverness, they departed.
I tell Durand I havecertain knowledge that his wife left with Beetham. Ive got her this time, Petersen answered, and stood aside.