ainulindale-devel

[Ainulindale-devel] gleam

From: Cordelia Foreman
Subject: [Ainulindale-devel] gleam
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 20:57:44 +0900

Also it was plain thatshe was not going to prove as useful to Grace as they had at firstimagined.
Thatsabout thirty-five miles north of here. Although she could not see his face she knew he was angry and quitefor the first time in this way.
Had she stayed all day in Homer or had she gone to Biltzor Trippetts Mills?
Immediately from one of defiance her attitude changed to one ofpleading persuasion.
No, no, dear, she pleaded softly, because she noted that he feltthat she might be offended. And therewere so few remaining summer week-ends. Plainly she was beginning to indulge in a type ofadventure of which they could not approve. I know most of those factory girls do, of course.
I dont believe I can, pleaded Roberta, as Clyde led her to theticket-stile. How about all the time between then and now, though? Well, what did you want to leave the Newtons for then?
And supposing that heshould not speak to her nor she to him. Braley, therewas no other encounter until the following Saturday when Robertadeparted for Fonda.
But now its different, and yet I dont see how I amgoing to get out of it so soon.
There wassomething sinful, low, dreadful about it. But I ought to begoing back now, she added nervously.
I could teach you in a few minutes if you wanted meto.
And thatcaused her to lay aside this thought of seeking another place.
There wouldnt be anybody there now,would there? I would if I could make myself, but I cant. Oh, shucks, replied Clyde foolishly and gayly, what nonsense,Roberta.
I dont suppose your parentswere as strict as mine, either.
But the mood that dominated Clyde was of a different nature.
Howjalike the dancing over there, Miss Alden?
But I know whatsright and I dont think thats right and I wont do it.
And Roberta, stricken by this sudden development which was sopainful to both, called, Clyde! No, no, no, he couldnt do that to me, he wouldnt. It was the first flashing, blinding, bleeding stab of love for her. How can you think theres anything wrong with it? Thatsabout thirty-five miles north of here. Oh, who would be likely to see us anyhow, at this time ofnight? Hence she did not care to talk about him at all.
I know most of those factory girls do, of course. After many emotional aches she decided that she could not.
Fox-trots and one-steps were being supplied by anorchestrelle of considerable size. After all, why shouldnt she be at Starlight Park if she chose? AndRoberta dumfounded and terrified, stood there.
At the same time she did notsee how she could possibly comply. Miss Pope added curiously, Idont suppose hes a Lycurgus boy.