apps-gnustep

GNUMail.app - next release

From: Ludovic Marcotte
Subject: GNUMail.app - next release
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:20:53 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Here's a list of what should be done in GNUMail.app
and Pantomime before the next big release.

It's divided in small categories.

[ Address Book ]

The address book should be re-designed to support "Groups"
of contacts like Mail.app.

I've redesigned the UI and you can find a sshot here:

http://sophos.ca/crap/addressbookwindow.gif

The Add/Delete buttons will take the Address/Group
value depending the NSBrowser selection.

We should be able to import from Mail.app's mailaliases
file for now.

[ Bundles ]

We should create bundles that could be loaded if the
user want them. Right now, I can think of two bundles:

a) one for the 'clock'. I've made one quickly to show my point
   and you can find the sshot here:

   http://sophos.ca/crap/newbar.gif

b) one for being able to view X-Face / X-URL-Image

[ Find ]

We should be able to search in message's content.
Also, we should be able to search in all
(or some) local mailboxes and IMAP folders.

[ Folders / Sub-folders, etc. ]

Sub-folders support should be added in Pantomime and
GNUMail.app. Also, support for other mailbox format
should be added. We should add (ideally) support for:

- mh
- maildir
- Mail.app mailboxes

Also, the number of read/unread messages should be
displayed next to the mailbox name in the
MailboxManager.

[ GPG / PGP ]

The support of GPG / PGP should be offered as a bundle
too, since some users might not want to compile / install
GPG tools in order to use GNUMail.app.

Ideally, it should be based on GPGMail
(http://www.sente.ch/software/GPGMail/).

[ IMAP ]

We should offer subscription / unsubscription capabilities
for IMAP folders.

The IMAPView UI should be finished to support this features
as well as the IMAP code (IMAPFolder/IMAPMessage/IMAPStore)
in Pantomime.

Also we should be sure to remove our IMAP cache when we
unsubscribe to an IMAP folder and also remove all
our caches when we delete an IMAP server.

IMAP servers (the Inbox folder) should also be pollable
much like a POP3 server. This should be an option
offered to the user in the Preferences Panel.

[ Key bindings ]

GNUMail.app should have a nice set of predefined key-bindings
with the possibility to modify them using the Preferences
Panel.

The default key bindings should be the ones used on Mail.app.
Other key bindings could be developped to 'mimic' Pine, Mutt,
Netscape Mail, etc.

[ Localization ]

The app should be translated in Dutch, Italian and Czech.

[ Message grouping/threading ]

If possible, we should implement message threading and switch
from using a NSTableView to a NSOutlineView in the MailWindow.

[ Message transfers ]

We should be able to transfer messages between mailboxes
using the MailboxManager (currently supported), Drag-and-Drop
and also Cut & Paste like Mail.app.

[ Non-blocking I/O / Exceptions support ]

Non-blocking I/O should be used in Pantomime's send/receive
operations. Also, exceptions should be generated and handled
correctly in Pantomime's internals and in GNUMail.app.

[ Multi-threading ]

Threads should be used when sending and receiving mails
so we won't block the main thread of the application.

[ UI ]

Some parts of the UI need to be redesigned, for example,
the Preferences Panel.

Also, I would like to change some icons and I would like
to allow people to easily change them if they want to
(using the Preferences Panel).

[ Varia ]

a) spell checking should be enabled
b) better text/enriched support (enhancing the class
   TextEnrichedConsumer)
c) create a HTMLConsumer class for GNUstep
d) sorting of messages when clicking on table headers (by Date,
   From, Subject, etc.)
e) each mailbox should be 'stated' in case mail gets delivered
   by other programs like procmail
f) finish filters support
g) finish the local mbox cache
h) ... see the TODO files!

I'm mostly the only one currently working on all of those items
so I would like to have some help if it's possible.

Even if you're new to GNUstep development, the code is
very easy to understand and I'm very patient and it could
be a good for people and the GNUstep project.

I probably forgot a lot of things in this email so
I would like to have suggestions, comments, feature
requests. I would like to know what's "blocking" you
from using it as your main MUA.

Thanks a lot for your time (reading this long mail),

Ludovic

--
Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever.